Ken Burns is one of the most influential documentary filmmakers of all time. Over the years he has made documentaries on various topics, many of which also highlight social issues. During his childhood, his deep interest in history later formed the basis for many of his historical films. His passion for filmmaking was awakened as a teenager when he gave an 8mm film camera as a gift. With the discovery of his passion, he followed her wholeheartedly and joined Film Studies and Design.
Ken Burns Biography
|Famous name||Ken Burns|
|Nickname||N / A|
|Birth Name||Kenneth Lauren Burns|
|place of birth||Brooklyn, New York City, New York, USA|
|Spouse||Amy Stechler Burns (M. 1982; Div. 1993) and Julie Deborah Brown (M. 2003 to date)|
|religion||Updating soon …|
|Secondary school||Pioneer high school|
|father||Robert Kyle Burns|
|mother||Lyla Smith Burns|
|brothers and sisters||Updating soon …|
|height||5 feet 9 inches|
|Net worth||$ 2 million|
|salary||Will be checked|
|Source of wealth||Entertainment industry|
After graduating, he founded a production company and achieved success with his very first film, Brooklyn Bridge, which was also nominated for an Oscar. His subsequent films strengthened his reputation with various topics and a unique style. But it was his first mini series that was carefully crafted over five years and made him an icon. Let us know more about him through this article.
What is Ken Burns famous for?
- An American filmmaker.
- His style of using archive material and photographs in documentaries.
How old is Ken Burns?
Ken remembers his early life and was born in Brooklyn, New York in 1953 to Lyla Smith Burns and Robert Kyle Burns. He is currently 66 years old. His mother was a biotechnician and his father was studying cultural anthropology at Columbia University in New York at the time of his birth.
His family kept moving and stayed in Saint-Veran in France, New York, Delaware and Ann Arbor. Melanie Nolan and Josh Faulkner were his closest friends who supported him throughout his career.
When he was only three years old, his mother was diagnosed with breast cancer and eventually died of the disease at the age of eleven. This event deeply impressed him and became one of the reasons for his career choice.
Where did Ken Burns go to college?
Regarding her education, Ken studied at Pioneer High School in Ann Arbor and graduated in 1971. He enrolled at Hampshire College, Massachusetts, where he studied film studies and design with renowned photographers such as Jerome Liebling and Elaine Mayes. In order to finance his education, he also worked in a record store.
When did Ken Burns start his acting career?
- After graduating with a Bachelor of Arts, he founded a production company, Florentine Films, with two college friends, cameraman Buddy Squires and editor Paul Barnes. The company was based in Walpole, New Hampshire.
- He worked as a cameraman for the BBC and Italian television and made several documentary short films. In 1977 he started working on a documentary about the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge. He took the screenplay from David McCullough’s book The Great Bridge.
- The Brooklyn Bridge documentary was released in 1981 and received positive feedback from viewers and critics.
- His next work in 1984 was The Shakers: Hands to Work, Hearts to God. Shaker is a religious sect and the film contained many interviews with current shakers.
- In 1985 two of his films were released. The Statue of Liberty explores the history of the sculpture of the same name, while Huey Long records the life and career of the American politician Huey Long.
- In 1988 two more films were released, The Congress and Thomas Hart Benton. The former traces the history of the United States Congress, while the latter deals with the American painter and muralist with the same name as the title.
- In 1990 he published his first mini-series, The Civil War, which was based on the American Civil War. The record-breaking series received rave reviews and was seen by approximately 40 million people in the United States.
- He continued to make documentaries and short films, and his next feature film was the 1994 baseball series. The series spans over eighteen hours and traces the history of baseball to illustrate changes in American society.
- In 1996 he was executive producer and creative consultant for the documentary The West. The film was about the western United States in the second half of the 19th century. This well-received film was directed by Stephen Ives, who had previously worked with Burns in The Civil War and Baseball.
- Most of his work over the next few years was biographical and featured various personalities such as former U.S. President Thomas Jefferson, Meriwether Lewis and William Clark, author Mark Twain, architect Frank Lloyd Wright, and activist Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony .
- The War series, directed by Burns, was released in 2007. The film describes the Second World War based on personal reports from around 40 Americans.
- In 2009, he showed his love of diversity again with his next film, The National Parks: America’s Best Idea. The film is based on the system of national parks in the United States and focuses on the people who were involved in the establishment of this system.
- In 2011, the Prohibition mini-series was released, directed by Burns and Lynn Novick. The film examines the connection between the ban on alcoholic beverages in the early 20th century and American culture and politics at that time.
- His most recent works are The Dust Bowl and The Central Park Five, both released in 2012. The former is a portrayal of the agricultural crisis that affected the United States in the early 20th century, while the latter tells the wrong beliefs of five people about assault and rape.
- Since the completion of each of his documentaries takes a few years, up to five documentaries are planned for future releases. These are the Roosevelts, Jackie Robinson, Vietnam, Country Music and Ernest Hemingway. Another film, The Address, is slated for release in 2014.
- According to a 2017 article in The New Yorker, he and his company Florentine Films have selected documentary film themes to be released by 2030. These include country music, the Mayo Clinic, Muhammad Ali, Ernest Hemingway, the American Revolution, and Lyndon B. Johnson, Barack Obama, Winston Churchill, the American criminal justice system, and African-American history from civil war to great migration.
How much is Ken Burns net worth?
As a filmmaker, Ken earns a decent amount of money and salary from his entertainment industry job. Based on some online reports, her estimated net worth is currently $ 2 million. However, his details of salary and assets still have to be announced.
How tall is Ken Burns?
Ken watches his body statistics, is 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighs about 75 kg. He also has a pair of hazel eyes and black hair color. In addition, their other body information has yet to be released. We will inform you in the event of a disclosure.
Did you know already?
- Brother of producer / director Ric Burns.
- Graduated from Hampshire College in Amherst, MA
- Biography / bibliography in: “Contemporary authors”. New Revision Series, vol. 136, pages 59-67. Farmington Hills, MI: Thomson Gale, 2005.