Saina Nehwal is an Indian professional badminton player. A former world number 1, she has won more than 24 international titles, including eleven titles in the Super series. She has represented India three times at the Olympic Games, winning a bronze medal at her second appearance. She is the first Indian Badminton to win an Olympic medal. She is also the only Indian to win the BWF World Junior Championships or to reach the BWF World Championships final. Nehwal is a philanthropist and was ranked 18th on the list of the most charitable athletes.
Professional badminton player
Anniversary / Date of birth
Saina Nehwal was born on March 17, 1990 in Hisar, Haryana, India.
She is currently 29 years old.
Sign of the sun
She did her few years of schooling CSS campus school, Hisar. The family then moved to Hyderabad. She finished her 12th of Sainte-Anne College for Women at Mehdipatnam in Hyderabad, India.
- Father – Harvir Singh Nehwal (scientist)
- Mother – Usha Nehwal
- Brothers and sisters – Chandranshu Nehwal (older sister)
Boyfriend / spouse
Saina Nehwal dated –
- Kashyap Parupalli (2018 to date) – She married her fellow badminton player, Parupalli Kashyap at a private ceremony on December 14, 2018.
- In feet – 5 feet 5 inches
- In centimeters – 165 cm
- In meters – 1.65 meters
- In kilograms – 65 kg
- In pounds – 143 lbs
- Measurements – 34-26-34
- Chest – 34 inches
- Cut – 26 inches
- hip – 34 inches
- Bra size – 32D
She is wearing a shoe size 7 (US).
The size of the dress
Her dress size is 5 (US).
She became the first Indian badminton player to win a BWF Series event and continued to impress to win the gold medal at the 2010 Commonwealth Games and the most important victory of her career has undoubtedly was his bronze medal at the London Olympics in 2012.
She made her international debut in 2005 with the Asian Badminton Satellite tournament. Since then, she has won many titles as a badminton player nationally and internationally.
Saina did not appear in any of the films.
She has also appeared as a guest on TV shows such as Satyamev Jayate, Comedy Nights with Kapil and The Kapil Sharma Show.
She has endorsed many well-known brands such as Vaseline, Fortune Cooking Oil, Emami, Edelweiss Group, Huawei Honor Smartphone, Star Sports, NECC, Indian Overseas Bank, Top Ramen Noodles, Herbalife Nutrition, Yonex, Iodex, Sahara Group etc.
Awards and nominations
- Nehwal was awarded the Arjuna Prize in 2009, and a year later, the Indian government awarded him the Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian honor in India.
- In 2009, Nehwal was awarded the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, the most prestigious award in India for its athletic excellence.
- In 2016, the Indian government awarded Saina Nehwal Padma Bhushan. It is the 3rd highest civilian honor of the country.
Saina Nehwal Favorites
- Favorite actor – Shah Rukh Khan, Mahesh Babu, Prabhas
- Favorite cricketer – Sachin Tendulkar
- Favorite tennis player – Roger Federer
- Favorite destination – Singapore
- Favorite color – Blue
- Favorite song – Kiss me by Ed Sheeran
- Favorite food – Aloo Paratha, Kiwi
Saina Nehwal net worth
Saina Nehwal has a net worth estimated at $ 4 million dollars from 2019.
Social media profiles
Some lesser known facts about Saina Nehwal
- Saina Nehwal belongs to Haryana but her family moved to Hyderabad at the age of 5 years.
- In 2005, she was selected to play in the National Under-19 Team and became National Under-19 Champion in 2006.
- She has a brown karate belt.
- In 2006, Nehwal won the Philippines Open tournament and also performed well at several junior tournaments.
- In 2008, she became the first Indian woman to win the World Junior Badminton Championship.
- In 2009, she became the first national under-19 champion. She won the prestigious Asian Satellite Badminton Tournament twice.
- In 2010, she won the YONEX-SUNRISE Super Series Open in Hong Kong, the Super Series in Singapore, the Super Series in Indonesia and the Grand Prix Gold India.
- In 2011, she became a finalist in the BWF World Superseries finals and the Indonesia Premier Superseries.
- In 2012, Sachin Tendulkar offered his BMW after winning the gold medal at the Olympics.
- In 2012, Saina Nehwal published her autobiography, Play to Win: My Life at Court.
- In 2015, Saina Nehwal won the individual singles event at the Indian Open Grand Prix Gold. In the final, she beat Spanish player Carolina Marina.
- In October 2016, she was named a member of the Athletes' Commission of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
- Saina has appeared on the cover of various magazines such as Women's Health, Femina, etc.
- Saina Nehwal is a dog lover.