Danai Gurira is an American actress and playwright. She is best known for her lead roles in Michonne in the AMC horror drama The Walking Dead and in Okoye in the Marvel Cinematic Black Panther superhero movies, Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame. Gurira is also the playwright for Broadway's Eclipsed, for which she was nominated for the Tony Award for Best Song.
Danai Jekesai Gurira
Anniversary / Date of birth
Danai Gurira was born on February 14, 1978 in Grinnell, Iowa, United States.
She is currently 41 years old.
Sign of the sun
She has a Zimbabwean ancestry.
Danai attended high school in High School of the Dominican Convent. After, she returned to the United States to study at Macalester College in Saint Paul, Minnesota, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology. Gurira has also obtained a Master of Fine Arts in The University of New YorkS School of Arts Tisch.
- Father – Roger Gurira (Professor, Department of Chemistry, Grinnell College)
- Mother – Josephine Gurira (University Librarian)
- Brothers and sisters – Shingai Gurira (older sister), Choni Gurira (older sister), Tare Gurira (older brother)
Boyfriend / spouse
Danai Gurira dated –
- Norman Reedus (2015) – In the summer of 2015, Danai would come out with actor Norman Reedus. They first met while working on the television series The Walking Dead. The speculation that they would be a couple had been aroused by their comfortable equation on the sets of the TV series. In fact, they were photographed kissing each other. Plus, they seemed to be delighted to be one with each other.
- In feet – 5 feet 7 inches
- In centimeters – 170 cm
- In meters – 1.70 meters
- In kilograms – 53 kg
- In pounds – 117 lbs
- Measurements – 34-24-35
- Chest – 34 inches
- Cut – 24 inches
- hip – 35 inches
- Bra size – 32B
She is wearing a shoe size 8 (US).
The size of the dress
Her dress size is 4 (US).
Incarnated in the role of Okoye in the 2018 superhero movie, Black Panther. She has redone the same role in other films from the Marvel film universe.
In 2007, Danai made his film debut in The Visitor as Zainab. She was hailed for her masterclass as an actor in the film.
In 2004, Danai Gurira made her first television appearance in the Inert Dwarf episode of the police detective television series Law & Order: Criminal Intent.
Danai Gurira did not do any promotional work for any brand.
Awards and nominations
|2006||Obie Award||Special quote||In the continuum||Won|
|Circle of External Critics Award||An exceptional game out of the ordinary||Appointed|
|John Gassner Memorial Dramatic Writing Award||Won|
|2007||Helen Hayes Rewards||Best lead actress, non-resident||Won|
|2008||Gotham Award||Best casting ensemble||The visitor||Appointed|
|Boston Society of Film Critics Award||Best casting||Appointed|
|Fest Method||The best actress in a supporting role||Won|
|2012||Satellite Award||Best Cast – TV Series||The dead who walk||Won|
|Whiting Awards||The dramatic writing||The convert||Won|
|2013||Dramatic Circle of Los Angeles Critics Award||Best writing||Appointed|
|Eyegore Awards||Best Overall Award||The dead who walk||Won|
|Chlotrudis Awards||Best actress||George's mother||Appointed|
|2014||Black Reel Award||Best actress||Won|
|Best breaking performance||Appointed|
|American Black Film Festival Hollywood Awards||Best actress||Appointed|
|2016||NAACP Image Award||Outstanding Support Actress in a Dramatic Series||The dead who walk||Appointed|
|Saturn Price||Best Supporting Actress on TV||Won|
|Tony Award||Best game||Eclipse||Appointed|
|Lilly Awards||Exceptional writing||Won|
|Drama Desk Award||Sam Norkin Award||Won|
|Lucille Lortel Awards||Exceptional game||Appointed|
|ImageNation Revolution Award||Revolutionary Award for Artistic Excellence||Won|
|Circle of External Critics Award||New exceptional piece off-piste||Familiar||Appointed|
|Black Girls Rock! Price||Star Star Celebrating||himself||Won|
|2017||Saturn Price||Best actress in a television series||The dead who walk||Appointed|
|2018||The best actress in a supporting role||Black Panther||Won|
|Best actress in a television series||The dead who walk||Appointed|
|MTV Movie Awards||Best team on the screen||Black Panther||Appointed|
|Best fight||Avengers: war in the infinite||Appointed|
|People's Choice Awards||The star of the 2018 action movie||Black Panther||Won|
|2019||Black Reel Award||Outstanding support actress||Black Panther||Appointed|
|Screen Actors Guild Awards||Outstanding performance of a cast in a movie||Won|
|Saturn Price||Best actress in a television series||The dead who walk||waiting|
Danai Gurira Favorites
- Super Power Special favorite – Ability to fly
- Favorite restaurant in New York – Himalaya coffee (famous for its delicious Tibetan cuisine)
- Favorite color – Red
- Favorite movie – Hotel Rwanda
- Favorite singer – Justin Timberlake, Tasha Cobbs
- Favorite food – Lamb burgers and goat cheese
- Favourite dishes – Tibetan cuisine, lamb, goat cheese burgers
- Favorite scene role – Isabella in Measure for Measure (played by her)
- Favorite TV shows – Orange is the new black, House of cards, Modern family, Veep
- Favourite sport – Tennis
- Favorite city – New York City
Danai Gurira net worth
Danai Gurira has an estimated net worth to $ 4 million dollars from 2019.
Social media profiles
Some lesser known facts about Danai Gurira
- Growing up, she participated in competitive swimming.
- When she was 5 years old, her family returned to Harare, the newly independent capital of Zimbabwe.
- She wrote her first piece when she was in grade 7. The play entitled My Uncle Gray Bhonzo and she played the lead role.
- She began writing plays in order to better utilize her strengths as an actor. It has also helped her to write about strong female characters with whom she is able to identify.
- As a playwright, she has been commissioned by prestigious institutions such as the Theater Group Center, the Yale Repertory Theater, the Playwrights Horizons and the Royal Court.
- She is the co-founder of Almasi Arts Inc., an organization that works for the promotion of arts education in her home country, Zimbabwe. She was named artistic director of the organization.
- She has taught classes on theater and theater in her home country, as well as in other African countries such as South Africa and Liberia.
- Besides English, she is fluent in French and Shona. She also has good control over the basic xhosa.
- In 2005, she entered the theater and co-wrote and co-starred in the off-Broadway play In the Continuum.
- In 2008, Gurira participated in the Global Green Sustainable Design Awards to read a letter written by a New Orleans resident displaced by Hurricane Katrina.
- In 2009, Gurira made her Broadway debut in August in Joe Wilson's Come and Gone, starring Martha Pentecost.
- In 2011, Gurira co-founded Almasi Arts, an organization dedicated to continuing arts education in Zimbabwe. Gurira is currently Executive Artistic Director.
- In March 2012, AMC announced live that Gurira would join the cast of their horror drama The Walking Dead, the highest-rated series in the history of cable television, in his third season.
- In 2013, Gurira played a leading role in director Andrew Dosunmu's independent drama Mother of George, presented at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival.
- In 2015, Gurira signed an open letter launched by the ONE campaign. The letter was addressed to Angela Merkel and Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, urging them to focus on women, who lead the G7 in Germany and the AU in South Africa. The following year, Gurira founded the non-profit organization Love Our Girls, which aims to highlight the issues and challenges that specifically concern women around the world.
- In 2016, she launched her nonprofit organization Love Our Girls, which raises awareness of the challenges and issues facing women around the world.
- In 2016, Gurira joined Johnson & Johnson in the fight against HIV / AIDS.
- In 2018, she starred in an American superhero movie based on the character of Marvel Comics, Black Panthers as Okoye.
- On December 2, 2018, Gurira was named a UN Women Goodwill Ambassador by UN Women Executive Director, Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, at the Global Citizen Festival in Johannesburg, South Africa. As a goodwill ambassador for UN Women, Gurira is committed to focusing on gender equality and women's rights, as well as to making women's unique voices heard.