Meghan Markle expresses her anger as Will and Kate exclude the Sussexes from the national tribute on the anniversary of the Queen’s death. The couple are expected to acknowledge the global outpouring of feelings following the Queen’s death on September 8 last year.
On the first anniversary, Prince William and Prince Charles will lead the tributes, delivering a public message commemorating the monarch’s life and legacy, which ended at the age of 96.
As William and Kate reflect on the Queen’s long reign, they also plan to look ahead. The King, however, will mark the anniversary privately at Balmoral in Scotland, the place of his death.
Final arrangements are still being determined for the mode of their address, whether it will be delivered in person or through their social media platforms, reaching millions of admirers. A royal source said Her Majesty’s death truly marked the end of an era. The royal family has been in a state of transition ever since, and as the coronation and summer holidays come to an end, anticipation is building for what lies ahead.
Royal officials said Charles would quietly and privately observe the anniversary, following the example of the late Queen, who stayed at Sandringham in Norfolk until the anniversary of her father’s death. Members of the Royal Family may take part in public engagements surrounding the Queen’s birthday, although no public or private family gatherings involving them all are planned.
In early summer, King Charles III will welcome many family members to Balmoral, including serving Prime Ministers and Rishi Sunak, who will be staying at the estate with his family. Prince Harry and Meghan, who were reportedly not invited to Balmoral due to strained relations, are expected to commemorate the anniversary in their own way.
Prince Charles is expected to pay respects to his mother at Balmoral Castle, coinciding with the anniversary of his own ascension to the throne. Although specific details of this event have not been shared with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, they will likely find their own way to honor the occasion.
The development comes after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were seen leaving a celebrity restaurant in Montecito, California following Meghan’s birthday celebrations. Prince Harry is expected to attend the Invictus Games 2023 in Düsseldorf, Germany, while Meghan is expected to join him for various events ahead of their appearance at the closing ceremony on September 16.
Reports indicate that Prince Harry will deliver a speech and Meghan Markle will participate as a moderator during the ceremony.
All senior members of the Royal Family, including Prince Andrew, are expected to attend the University ceremony held at Balmoral Castle. After the ceremony, King Charles and Queen Camilla will begin their summer vacation in Scotland, breaking tradition by not staying at Balmoral’s main castle, but instead at Burke Hall, Charles’ private residence on the estate.