Matt Baker is a British television presenter who co-hosted the children’s television show Blue Peter with Alex Jones from 1999 to 2006, BBC One’s Countryfile since 2009 and The One Show from 2011 to 2020. During his seven years on Blue Peter, he won the BAFTAs’ Best Child Presenter title two years in a row. In his junior years he was a British gymnast and champion of sports acrobatics. He had to give up at the age of 14 because of anemia. He was also a gymnastics commentator for BBC coverage of the 2008 and 2012 Summer Olympics. He was a participant in Strictly Come Dancing 2010. He won second place with his dance partner, professional ballroom dancer Aliona Vilani. He was made a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the New Year Honors 2022 for charitable and voluntary service to fundraising. He has been the current presenter of ‘Matt Baker: Our Farm in the Dales’ on Channel 4 since 2021. The show is now in its second season and is a hit with fans, but Matt’s career almost took a completely different path.
What is Matt Baker famous for?
- As a British TV presenter and actor.
- For co-moderating the children’s television show “Blauer Peter” from 1999 to 2006.
Where is Matt Baker from?
Matt Baker was born on December 23, 1997. He hails from Easington, County Durham, England. He holds British nationality and is of British White ethnic background. His birth name is Matthew James Baker. As of 2021, he is 44 years old today. His family had a small farm in the village where his father ran a newsagent. His father’s name is Mike and his mother’s name is Janice. Through his siblings, he has one sister and two half-sisters. Capricorn is his zodiac sign and his religion is Christian.
Regarding his education, he attended Easington Village School. When he was 10 his parents bought a farm west of Durham which they moved into and renovated. He was an avid dancer from the age of 5 and began competing as a gymnast while at school. He continued his education at Belmont Comprehensive School in Durham and was an aspiring gymnast but had to give up after being diagnosed with anemia at the age of 14. Next, he earned high school diplomas in drama, biology and physical education at the Durham Sixth Forms Centre. In the late 1990s, while a drama student at Queen Margaret University College, Edinburgh, he worked as an entertainer and with a 1970s comedy disco dance revival show called ‘Disco Inferno’ which toured northern England.
Matt Baker career timeline
- Matt Baker originally wanted to be a physical therapist. Later, his future wife’s aunt discovered that “Blauer Peter” was looking for a new presenter.
- He was then asked to come to London the next day for an interview and made his first appearance on the show on 25 June 1999, Royal Marines and the Parachute Regiment.
- During his seven years with Blue Peter, he won two BAFTAs for Best Children’s Presenter and a Royal Television Society award two years in a row.
- He then left “Blue Peter” at the end of its 2005–06 series. His last live show aired on June 26th.
- He then co-hosted “Countryfile Summer Diaries” on weekday mornings on BBC One, along with “Open Country” for Radio 4 and “Animal Rescue Squad” and “Animal Rescue Squad International” for Channel 5.
- He has co-hosted BBC One’s Countryfile on Sunday nights since 2009.
- He also co-hosted the first season of Secret Britain with Julia Bradbury and presented One Man and His Dog with Kate Humble.
- From May to August 2010 he was a guest presenter on BBC One’s magazine program The One Show. He then served as a guest co-host on the show and took over as the show’s permanent presenter.
- He later went public by asking then-Prime Minister David Cameron, “How on earth do you sleep at night?” on March 8, 2011. Will Heaven, deputy editor of Telegraph Blogs, wrote: “Was that the discovery a true North Leftist? Or was Baker just mistaken?”.
- He announced on The One Show on December 4, 2019 that he would be leaving in Spring 2020. He announced this in an emotional on-camera speech in which he thanked everyone for their support, particularly the money donated to The Rickshaw Challenges. His last show on The One Show was March 31, 2020 (Tuesday).
- He was also one of three main presenters in the final season of the BBC One reality series City Hospital.
- He also co-hosted coverage of Crufts in March 2007 and 2008.
- In 2007, he co-hosted five episodes of Animal Rescue Live with Selina Scott.
- On August 24, 2008 he co-hosted the London 2012 party with Claudia Winkleman. He commentated on the gymnastics events for the BBC coverage of the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing.
- In addition, he commentated on gymnastics at the London 2012 Summer Olympics, commented on the BBC gymnastics events at the Rio 2016 Olympics and commented on the gymnastics events in Tokyo 2020.
- He also took part in the reality show Around the World in 80 Days in October 2009.
- He was a famous show jumper in the 2006 Sport Relief event “Only Fools on Horses”.
- He co-hosted the four-part BBC One series The Gift in 2015 and also co-hosted a three-part factual series Big Blue Live that same year.
- In July 2017 he co-hosted “Wild Alaska Live” on BBC One with Steve Backshall and Liz Bonnin.
- He participated in the eighth series of “Strictly Come Dancing” in 2010 and became the partner of ballroom dancer Aliona Vilani, who took second place. They also took part in the Strictly Come Dancing Live Tour in 2011.
- As for his film career, in 2002 he played himself in an episode of the BBC drama series “Cutting It” and appeared briefly as himself as the host of “Blue Peter” in an episode of the science fiction series “Doctor Who”.
- In June 2006, he played the role of Dick in The Famous Five in The Queen’s Handbag.
- He returned to his native North East England to play the role of Caractacus Potts in the Sunderland Empire production of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
Matt Baker personal life: who is he married to?
Matt Baker is married to his beautiful wife, Nicola Mooney. By profession, Nicola is a former physiotherapist. He first met his spouse while performing in the disco show at Pier 39 in Cleethorpes. On July 16, 2004 the couple married and their wedding took place at Winston in Teesdale. The couple is also blessed with two children; a son namely Luke and a daughter namely Molly. The family currently lives in Buckinghamshire. He also described Nicola as a very patient and supportive wife. In early 2011, Baker was elected President of the National Federation of Young Farmers’ Clubs. He is President of Here4Horses. His sexual orientation is heterosexual. He also has a dog, namely Meg.
Matt Baker net worth and annual salary
Matt Baker is a talented TV Host whose net worth is estimated at $10 Million as of 2022. He earns an annual salary of around $1 million per year. His income comes from his professional career as a TV presenter. Today he lives a cool lifestyle. He has spent a lot of time in the entertainment industry and is undoubtedly one of the most talented figures in the modern entertainment industry.
What is the Matt Baker height?
Matt Baker has the perfect height of 5ft 8in. His balanced body weight is 78 kg. He has a pair of brown eyes and his hair color is the same as well. Overall he has a fit body with an average body type.