Salim Sadruddin Moledina Merchant, better known as Salim Merchant, is an Indian singer, music director and composer. He composes music with his brother, Sulaiman Merchant. The duo is called Salim-Sulaiman. He works mainly in Bollywood. He came into the spotlight after recording the sounds of the Bollywood movie "Bhoot."
Wiki / Biography
Salim Merchant was born on Sunday, March 3, 1974 (the age of 45; as in 2019) in Mumbai. His ancestral city is Mundra, Kutch, Gujarat. His zodiac sign is Pisces.
He was educated at St Peter's High School in Mumbai and continued his studies at KC College. Salim has developed an interest in music from an early age. since his father was musical director. After graduating, Salim enrolled at Trinity College of Music in London to master the piano.
Height (approximately): 5 '10 & # 39; & # 39;
Hair color: Black
Eye colour: Brown
Family, caste and wife
Salim Merchant was born in a Muslim family. His father, Sadruddin Merchant, was music director. His father ran the Ismaili Boy Scout Orchestra in India. Salim was very close to his mother. He has a brother, Sulaiman Merchant, who is also music director.
Salim is married to Jeanne Micheal Merchant, singer and songwriter. The couple has a daughter, Ayesha Merchant.
Salim began his career by composing "jingles" for television commercials. In the mid-1990s, he began pop music and produced albums for musicians such as Voodoo Rapper, Style Bhai, Shweta Shetty and Jasmine Bharucha. In 1997, with his brother, he received his first Bollywood project consisting of composing the "Background Score" of the movie "Hameshaa". Subsequently, he gave the musical composition in the film "Ghaath". The duo became famous after having the background score for the movie "Bhoot."
Subsequently, he composed music and scores for Bollywood films such as "Ab Tak Chhappan" (2004), "Mujhse Shaadi Karogi" (2004), "Dhoom" (2004), "Neal & # 39; N & # Nikki "(2005)," Kaal "(2005)," Krrish "(2006) and" Fashion "(2008).
In addition to being a music composer, Salim is also a great singer and has sung many popular songs in Bollywood. In 2014, his song "Ishq Wala Love" from the movie "Student of the Year" became the biggest hit of the year.
(embed) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2v5222zeKs (/ embed)
With his brother, he also created the Bollywood remix of Lady Gaga songs "Born This Way" and "Judas". They worked on Enrique's song "I'm A Freak" and also composed the music from the Hollywood movie "Sold."
(embed) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrIXzZM0D8o (/ embed)
He judged the seasons 5 and 6 of the reality show sung "Indian Idol". Salim also judged Season 2 of Indian Idol Junior and Season 2 of The Voice of India.
In September 2019, Pakistani singer Farhan Saeed accused Salim Merchant of copying his song Roiyaan. He alleged that Salim's song "Haareya" was an integral copy of his song "Roiyaan". However, Salim called it pure coincidence.
- Star Screen Award for the best background music for the movie "Bhoot" (2003)
- Star Screen Award for the best background music for the movie "Dhoom" (2004)
- Zee Cine Award for the best background music for the movie "Ab Tak Chhappan" (2005)
- IIFA Award for best background music for the movie "Mujhse Shaadi Karogi" (2005)
- FHM Award (magazine) for best dressed music composer (2007)
- Filmfare Award for the best background music for the movie "Krrish" (2007)
- Syracuse International Film Festival Award for Best Music Director for the movie "Fashion" (2008)
- Mirchi Music Award for Independent Song of the Year for the song "Cheene Re Mora Chain" (2013)
- Food: Japanese cuisine, grilled fish, butter chicken
- Movies: Ab Tak Chhappan (2004), Legends of Autumn (1994), Life is Beautiful (1997)
- Delivered: Khaled Hossein's kite
- restaurants: Japanese Kofuku (Mumbai), Tatami (Mumbai)
Facts / Trivia
- Her hobbies are reading books and reading on Xbox.
- He is often seen drinking on various occasions.
(embed) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_uFtwswqco (/ embed)
- From the list of all his compositions, his favorite composition is "Yeh Honsla Kaise Jhuke" from the movie "Dor".
- His last name was "Moledina", but his uncle changed him to "Merchant" when he moved to Australia.
- His father, Sadruddin Merchant, was a veteran of the Telugu film industry. He moved to Mumbai in 1969 and began making musical instruments. His father played piano, saxophone, guitar and drums.
- His father was known as Mohammed Rafi of the Ismaili community.
- Long before his marriage, his wife, Jeanne, was a popular name in the jazz music circuit in Mumbai.
- Since 2013, Jeanne, wife of Salim, runs a local music academy for toddlers. Many famous children, such as Hrithik Roshan's son, Hrehaan, Farhan Akhtar's daughter, Akira, Ronit Roy's daughter, Aador, learned music through her.
- In 2009, Salim and his brother Sulaiman Merchant were nominated for the Daytime Emmy Award for their song "We Like Being Small" from Nickelodeon's "Wonder Pets" entertainment show.
- In 2010, Salim-Sulaiman collaborated with South African singer Loyiso Bala and Kenyan singer Eric Wainaina to record the song "Africa – You are A Star" for the World Cup. To date (2019), they are the only Indians to have recorded the anthem of the FIFA World Cup.
(embed) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cgeHjqMC34 (/ embed)
- In 2016, Salim collaborated with Rahat Fateh Ali Khan for a Qawwali project. The song was "Tumhe Dillagi" and it was widely appreciated by the audience.
- Salim Merchant is a dog lover and has two dogs, Cookie and Daisy.