Ritu Phogat is an Indian athlete of MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) and a former freestyle wrestler. She is the sister of the famous wrestlers, Geeta Phogat and Babita Phogat. She is a gold medalist at Commonwealth Wrestling 2016.
Wiki / Biography
Ritu Phogat was born on Monday, May 2, 1994 (the age of 25; as in 2019) in Balali, in Haryana. His zodiac sign is Taurus. She began her wrestling training under the guidance of her father, Mahavir Singh Phogat, at the age of 8. At first, she found the sport difficult because she had to get up in the morning at 4 am, but ended up developing a passion for the sport. Ritu passed his class 10 exam and then dropped out of school to focus on the sport.
Height (approximately): 5 '1 "
Hair color: Black
Eye colour: Black
Family, caste and boyfriend
Ritu Phogat belongs to a Hindu jat family. His father, Mahavir Singh Phogat, is an amateur wrestler and senior coach at the Olympics. His mother Shobha (Daya) Kaur is a housewife. Her older sisters, Geeta Phogat and Babita Phogat, struggle. Her younger sister, Sangeeta Phogat, is also a wrestler. Ritu also has a younger brother named Dushyant Phogat (Modu).
Ritu Phogat began his career in 2011 as a wrestler in the 48 kg freestyle category. She made her international debut in 2014 by participating in the FILA Junior World Championships in Zagreb, Croatia. In October 2016, Ritu won his second consecutive title at the annual National Wrestling Championships.
Subsequently, she competed in the 2016 Singapore Commonwealth wrestling championship in the 48kg category and won a gold medal. This was the turning point of his career.
In December 2016, Phogat became the most expensive wrestler at the Pro Wrestling League auction, leaving behind seasoned players like Sakshi Malik and Geeta Phogat. She pocketed a prize of Rs. 36 lakh to represent the franchise of Jaipur Ninjas.
(embed) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABVSw59HE0g (/ embed)
In November 2017, Ritu won a silver medal at the U-23 World Wrestling Championship, which was held in Bydgoscz, Poland.
In February 2019, Ritu decided to leave the fight and pursue a career in the MMA. She signed with ONE Championship and was quoted by InsideSport,
It is both an honor and a privilege to join ONE Championship, the best and largest martial arts organization in the world. The fight will always be my first love, but I think it's time to broaden my horizons. "
She then added:
I am excited to compete with the best mixed martial artists in the world and bring glory and pride to my country of origin. I am also trying to prove that Indian martial arts are truly world class. Thanks to ONE Championship for giving me the opportunity to share my talent on the world stage. "
Subsequently, she flew to Singapore and registered with the EVOLVE MAA organization in order to receive training on different forms of martial art such as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, wrestling and boxing.
On November 16, 2019, she made her MMA debut with the ONE Championship in which she played a match against Cindy Tiong, a veteran kickboxer from Malaysia.
- Gold Medalist at the Asian Junior Championship (2011)
- Gold Medalist at the Asia Cadet Championships (2011)
- Bronze medalist at the Cadet World Championship (2011)
- Bronze medalist at the Asian Junior Championship (2014)
- Silver Medalist at the World Junior Wrestling Championships (2014)
- Commonwealth Gold Medalist (2016)
- Silver medalist at the U-23 World Wrestling Championship (2017)
- Her hobbies include cooking and swimming.
- She is an avid follower of the Iranian wrestling team.
- She is very attentive to her physical condition and follows a strict training regime.
- In 2016, Aamir Khan directed a film called "Dangal", based on the story of his family.
- In 2017, she became the first Indian woman to win a silver medal at the U-23 World Wrestling Championships.
- Ritu considers his sisters, Geeta and Babita, his inspirations. Speaking of them, she says
Although Geeta and Babita inspire me a lot, I really look at Geeta. She is an inspiring figure. And my other sister cousin, Vinesh, is close to my age and also belongs to the same weight category. "
- Her cousin, Vinesh Phogat, is a wrestler and gold medalist at the Commonwealth Games. Her other cousin, Priyanka Phogat, is also a world-class wrestler.
- Ritu revealed in an interview that the total time she spent on her game was nearly six hours a day.
- His breakfast consists of a juice, a curd and an almond shake prepared by his father.
- When asked about his interest in martial arts, Ritu answers:
I watched martial arts on YouTube from 2012. I did not know where they were trained. But I would still wonder why India does not have a fighter here. It was always there in my head. "
- In an interview, when Ritu was asked if her family had supported her decision to join MMA, she said:
When I received their offer, I did not want to let go and talked to everyone in the family. They were very supportive. "
- In October 2019, Ritu Phogat set a two-year deadline to become the first MMA World Champion in India.