Clive Myrie is a multifaceted British journalist, newsreader and presenter working for the BBC. He is best known for hosting the long-running BBC quiz shows Mastermind and Celebrity Mastermind. He joined the BBC in 1987 as a trainee local radio reporter and became a BBC foreign correspondent. Since 1996 he has reported from more than 80 countries. In April 2009 he was appointed presenter of the BBC News Channel and also reported extensively on Kathmandu on the April 25, 2015 earthquake that struck the city. He has spoken occasionally on BBC World News including World News Today, World News America and the 2016 US Election. In addition, Clive hosted a documentary series on Jazz FM entitled ‘The Definitive History of Jazz In Britain’ which aired over ten weeks from 4 April to 6 June 2021. He is also active on social media as he has gained more than 133.2K followers on his Twitter account.
Clive Myrie is hiding underground
Clive Myrie hid underground after nearby rocket fire shook the building he was reporting from in Ukraine. He has reported on the Russian invasion from the capital, Kyiv, often with Lyse Doucet, the company’s chief international correspondent. The broadcaster and Mastermind host wrote on Twitter on Monday that the blast was the closest it has ever been to its base, shattering windows. Myrie tweeted, “Now, back in the underground bunker in Kyiv, our position has been rocked by nearby rocket fire.” Windows shook. Another explosion to our base. The fight is approaching the heart of #Kiev.”
He later said, “You have to be aware that you’re in the middle of a war zone, a living war zone, and anything can happen.” None of us are stupid enough to stay out there and report while bullets rain down would be insane and frankly no story is worth it, but the advice was that we could still broadcast as long as we wear the minimum protection of putting on safety gear. “So that’s what we did, and it meant we could continue to tell the story and get that across to our viewers so they understand what’s going on.”
- I’m a British journalist, newsreader and presenter working for the BBC.
- As the presenter of the long-running BBC quiz shows Mastermind and Celebrity Mastermind.
What nationality is Clive Myrie?
Clive Myrie was born on August 25, 1964 in Bolton, Lancashire, England. He is British by nationality and mixed ethnicity. Likewise, his religion is Christian and his race is black. Clive celebrated his 57th birthday in 2021 and according to his date of birth his zodiac sign is Virgo. His mother, Lynne Myrie, was a seamstress who worked for Mary Quant, while his father, Norris Myrie, was a factory worker making car batteries and carpets. His parents are divorced and his father returned to Jamaica after his retirement.
Regarding Clive’s education, he was educated at Hayward Grammar School in his hometown of Bolton, followed by Bolton Sixth Form College where he completed his A-levels. In 1985 he graduated from the University of Sussex with a Bachelor of Laws.
What does Clive Myrie do for a living?
- Clive Myrie left his supervisor to join the BBC as a trainee local radio reporter in 1987, having made his debut as a reporter for Radio Bristol in 1988.
- He then reported for Points West and most recently BBC Television and Radio News before becoming the BBC’s foreign correspondent and has reported from more than 80 countries since 1996.
- He was also appointed BBC Asia Correspondent in 2002 and was Paris Correspondent from 2006 to 2007 while serving as an embedded correspondent with 40 Commando Royal Marines, first on HMS Ocean and then during operations on the Al Faw Peninsula.
- He was appointed BBC News Channel Presenter in April 2009 and has presented BBC Weekend News and weekend editions of BBC News at Ten and BBC Breakfast, both on BBC One.
- In June 2014 he began presenting weekday bulletins on BBC One and was the main presenter of Election Tonight at 7:30pm and 9:30pm during the 2015 general election.
- He also reported extensively from Kathmandu on the April 25, 2015 earthquake that struck the city, traveled to Ukraine and in February 2022 was the presenter of the BBC’s coverage of the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine.
- He has presented occasionally on BBC World News including World News Today, World News America and the 2016 US Election, and on 15 April 2016 he also appeared as a guest on BBC One’s Have I Got News for You on.
- He appeared as a panelist on Richard Osman’s game show House of Games in September 2017 and began hosting BBC News at Six and BBC News at Ten in 2019.
- He now presents BBC News at Ten on Fridays and in the absence of Huw Edwards.
- On 22 March 2021, it was announced that Myrie would become the new presenter of BBC Two’s flagship quiz show Mastermind and its BBC One spin-off show Celebrity Mastermind. Myrie made his hosting debut on August 23, 2021.
- In November 2021 he appeared as a guest participant in an episode of BBC Two’s Celebrity Antiques Road Trip with news anchor Reeta Chakrabarti.
- From 4 April to 6 June 2021 he hosted a documentary series entitled ‘The Definitive History of Jazz In Britain’ on Jazz FM which aired over ten weeks.
awards and achievements
- Clive Myrie has received several nominations for his work, most notably for his role in the Bafta-nominated BBC team behind coverage of the Mozambique floods of 2000.
- He was awarded the Bayeux-Calvados War Reporter Prize for his coverage of ethnic violence on the island of Borneo.
- In 2016 he received an honorary doctorate from Staffordshire University.
- In 2019, the University of Sussex awarded him the title of Doctor of the University.
- Myrie was named both “Television Journalist of the Year” and “Network Presenter of the Year” at the 2021 RTS Television Journalism Awards, winning the awards “for his versatile, measured and persuasive style”.
Who is Clive Myrie’s wife?
Clive Myrie is a married man. He is married to his beautiful wife, Catherine Myrie, who is an upholsterer and furniture restorer. Myrie met his wife, who was then working in publishing, in 1992 at the launch of a book on Swiss cheese in London. According to Myrie, his wife has “given me the courage and space to pursue my dreams.” There is a lot of love between the two and I hope it stays that way in the future. If you think about Clive’s sexual orientation, he’s straight.
What is Clive Myrie Net Worth?
Clive Myrie has a net worth of between $1 million and $5 million as of 2022. He also earns a good salary, which is also thousands of dollars per year. He is a passionate and hardworking guy so there is no doubt that his net worth and salary will surely grow higher in the coming days. Clive has not yet done any support work. In addition, his main source of income is his career as a journalist, news anchor and presenter.
How much is Clive Myrie?
Clive Myrie has undeniably reached a decent size professionally. He stands at an ideal height with a balanced body weight. He has short black hair and dark brown eye color. Also, Clive’s physique is average. He also underwent surgery on his neck.